Friday, July 11, 2008

UPDATE: MY “FIRST” SET OF MEETINGS

I have just returned from Belleville, London and Sarnia after attending ad hoc meetings (as opposed to Union meetings).

At the meetings I gave presentations on;

i) What had transpired over the last couple of years with respect to the UTU and CN,

ii) The recently concluded CIRB hearings and ongoing hearings,

iii) The evolution of the Canadian Railway Unions,

iv) The representational vote (and why I am supporting the TCRC) and my encouragement to vote for the TCRC,

v) What will transpire with respect to representation within the TCRC for the former UTU members at CN should the TCRC be successful in the vote,

vi) The present relationship between CN Rail and the UTU International,

vii) Pension issues,

vii)The time limit ad hoc arbitration scheduled for July 17th (in Toronto),

ix)My personal thoughts on some of the problems we may face in the future.

During my presentation I encouraged questions and answered all that were asked of me.

I found that the attendees were well informed on the issues and asked questions which, in my view, made the meetings extremely successful. It became very clear to me that there is a definite (positive) change coming, commencing with August 18th, 2008.

NOTE: As some of the attendees had not yet received their ballots the process of contacting the CIRB was discussed and, as I understand it, phone committees will or may be established to get the vote out (which I encouraged). On this point please remember that if you have not received your ballot by July 11th you are to contact the CIRB before July 29th. Failure to do so will affect your right to vote.


NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS:


MY NEXT MEETING WILL BE IN CAPREOL ON MONDAY JULY 14TH AT 13:00 HOURS.

NOTICE: MY MEETING IN HORNEPAYNE IS CANCELLED AND WILL BE RESCHEDULED, THIS DUE TO THE ARBITRATION CASE ON JULY 17TH.

THERE WILL BE A MEETING IN TORONTO, FOR BOTH TORONTO NORTH AND SOUTH, ON JULY 16TH.

Rex Beatty