Saturday, March 1, 2008

Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB)

Presently there are a number of cases before the CIRB.

1. An appeal against the UTU regarding the removal of the former General Chairs and Vice-General Chairs (the former Canadian UTU negotiating team).

2. A complaint against CN Rail by Rex Beatty (former General Chairperson).

3. Representation vote between the UTU and the TCRC (Teamsters Canada Rail Conference).

As to the 1st two issues the Board has made it clear that while these matters are being heard there is to be no reporting of evidence presented. The reasons behind this decision are;

a) To ensure the process is not compromised by having those witnesses, who have yet to give evidence, be made aware of previous witness testimony and therefore be influenced by such testimony.

b) To protect the integrity of the process.

c) To allow the Board to do their job without outside interference.

For what its worth, I totally agree with the Board's directives. Please keep in mind that these hearings are open to the public and the above directives are to be observed by everyone in attendance.

Having stated the above it is appropriate (in my view) to advise that the Board recently heard submissions on item one (1) which were completed on Friday February 29th/08. The Complainants have essentially now completed examinations of their witnesses. The next set of hearings will commence at the end of May 2008 where it is anticipated that the UTU will present its case.

On the second (2nd) issue, the matter involving Rex Beatty (complainant) and CN Rail (respondent), preliminary issues are presently before the Board as a result of a "case management meeting" (how to proceed with the complaint). A decision is expected soon.

I have no new information on the UTU/TCRC vote.

Finally, I understand that their are many other issues affecting employees at CN Rail. The purpose of my blog is to keep in touch with my former members by way of information (not necessarily the information content itself).

I have been repeatedly advised that the my former members feel that they are "in the dark" about what is happening with many ongoing issues. I hope, in a small way, that this blog keeps people informed and that it reinforces the unity that I experienced while I was the General Chairperson. I say this as I fully expect that the situation will get better and it is important that we move forward with a common unified goal (effective and responsbile representation for the Canadian membership).

Please keep the faith.

Rex Beatty